– Provide answers to each of the stated questions Below.
– Assignment length: 2 pages maximum. No cover page needed.
– Attached the Course Text Book in the attachment for your reference
1. Using a Web browser, look for the open source and freeware intrusion detection tools listed . Next, identify two to three commercial equivalents. What would the estimated cost savings be for an organization to use the open source or freeware versions? What other expenses would the organization need to incur to implement this solution?
2. Using a Web browser, search on the term intrusion prevention systems. What are the characteristics of an IPS? Compare the costs of a typical IPS to an IDPS. Do they differ? What characteristics justify the difference in cost, if any? 3. Using a Web browser, visit the site www.honeynet.org. What is this Web site, and what does it offer the information security professional? Visit the Know your Enemy whitepaper series and select a paper based on the recommendation of your professor. Read it and prepare a short overview for your class.
4. Using Table 5-4 and a Web browser, search on a few of the port numbers known to be used by hacker programs, such as Sub-7, Midnight Commander, and WinCrash. What significant information did you find in your search? Why should the information security manager be concerned about these hacker programs? What can he or she do to protect against them?
5. Using the list of possible, probable, and definite indicators of an incident, draft a recommendation to assist a typical end user in identifying these indicators. Alternatively, using a graphics package such as PowerPoint, create a poster to make the user aware of the key indicators.