Per the Department guidelines, this course requires a mandatory data project. Your course grade will be “Incomplete” without the submission of this data project.
The project involves the following five parts:
- Introduction (what is the hypothesis you want to test; what is the population data you have in mind)
- data collection (what your sample data is and from where you collect them; on what basis you are convinced the sample is random)
- data summary and visualization (the basic summary statistics of your data and a visualization of the main feature of the data)
- hypothesis testing (a statistical statement of the hypothesis you want to test and the test statistics that you have computed)
- conclusion (what you can conclude concerning your hypothesis based on your test statistics)
You can choose your favorite statistical software to conduct the project. Each student is asked to write a two-page memo of the data project detailing the above four parts and to submit the data file along with the memo.